Thursday, October 11, 2012

Wildwood Park, Saratoga - Mixing Grays


A gray day for mixing grays! We did a special on "grayed color" today and spent some time experimenting with mixing beautiful gray colors on the palette and on the paper. I found I had the most success by mixing primaries on the palette to make a neutral gray, putting that on my paper and then adding a little pure color (more red, or blue etc) to liven it up. Like our "mixing greens" special it made you think more carefully when you were painting about exactly what colors you wanted to use, rather than dabbing randomly into the palette and hoping for the best! I rediscovered Ultramarine Blue, and Raw Sienna, which I haven't used in a while! Having no green or purple in my palette I worked harder to get the complementary mixes for gray, but it was a lot of fun seeing the color mixes other people got.


No comments: