Saturday, April 13, 2013

More Thiebaud inspired work


Valley View #1
Despite traveling a lot lately, I've been busy in my studio. After my Thiebaud inspired pen sketches the other week, I decided to work with that image and try painting it. Originally I was going to do a full sheet watercolor, but as I'm not working from life I pretty soon realized that I didn't know what the heck colors to use! So I started some color studies. Its such a lot of fun to do a series like this! Each time I do one I find some areas I like and others I don't, and new ideas keep popping up to try. The images are 9 3/4 x 9 1/4. Why that particular size you might ask - well, I have some frames and mats that fit watercolors that size so I was hopeful that maybe one or two might turn out well enough to frame! Plus they're small enough that they don't take all day to paint. Ha, why not be optimistic and creative with this painting lark!!
Valley View #2

Valley View #3 

Valley View #4

Valley View #5

Valley View #6

1 comment:

Mary Paquet said...

Sylvia, I love these pieces and the direction you are taking your art. I can't decide which one I like best! These should be very saleable -- I expect to see them on your website soon.

I did one small painting with your view, but my usual style is so much less interesting than what you did with these. http://mary-artadventures.blogspot.com/2009/12/christmas-with-plein-air-artists.html