Thursday, April 26, 2012

Vasona Hike and Sketch


A little walk in the park turned out to be more fun than I thought.  The weather was changeable, but that made for great skies and changing light. We saw a ton of birds - including goslings and quite a few small herons. We lunched at the foot of the dam - very atmospheric with the dam looming above us, water cascading in front of us and a wonderful metallic clanking sound coming from the roadworks nearby. You could imagine yourself in the War of the Worlds! Lots of people would have thought it terrible - but I enjoyed it enormously! Sadly had to leave early for an appointment so my dam sketch is unfinished and doesn't do it justice.

The dam at Vasona is 1000 feet long and 30 feet high. At the foot of this behemoth a small heron was fishing, two ducks sunbathed and a small group of artists had lunch

1 comment:

Mary Paquet said...

These are wonderful pieces, Sylvia. I love the way the plein air pieces capture the atmosphere. I can tell you were right there.

So sorry that my hectic week meant I couldn't make the hike and sketch or today's Menlo Park.